Monday, January 19, 2009

"Shower The People": Obama Inauguration Week Begins

I listened to James Taylor (with John Legend et al) sing that song via Youtube this morning - a day after the live Washington D.C. performance.

When Stevie Wonder's video also popped up, singing "Higher Ground" (with Usher and Shakira), I burst into tears.

Mum and Dad really loved Stevie Wonder's music. I was a trippy hippy when James Taylor became famous. Neither they nor I, in those days, ever imagined the U.S. would have a Black President in our lifetimes.

That I can live through these times in middle age, and they to have just missed it by a few years, is a bittersweet, heady time.

So much to live for.

My parents couldn't live this, but they taught me to live free even when they couldn't.

I stand on their shoulders.

No comments: